Associate Director of Business Development - PR Agency NYC
The Agency is a digital integrated marketing communications firm headquartered in New York, with eight offices in the US, UK & India. In a digital world, where new marketing campaigns are launched at the click of a mouse, we tell memorable stories—backed by measurable results—that make brands stand out. A strategic partner to clients, The Agency’s storytelling converges at the intersection between owned, paid and earned media.
The Agency’s team of 80 storytellers includes digital ninjas, authors, editors, playwrights, filmmakers, brand wizards, PR mandarins, SEO buffs, programming geeks, and sociologists. These teams have expertise in diverse industries and use digital, content, PR, and video as their building blocks—turning data and insights into powerful narratives. Our combined experience extends across the spectrum of marketing communications work—from global branding initiatives to launch projects for local start-ups.
The Agency has shaped brands for companies, including Black & Veatch, Catalyst, The Cherie Blair Foundation, Columbia University, Michael and Susan Dell Foundation, Convergys, DSM Nutritional Products, GE, CLAAS, HSBC, InMobi, Jones Lang LaSalle, MakeMyTrip, Oxford University, Pratham, Quest Diagnostics, Quikr, Jabong, St. Jude Medical, Texas Instruments, Texas Pacific Group (TPG), TIAA-CREF, U.S. India Business Council, The White House, Vuclip, Wipro Limited, Happiest Minds and Infinite Computer Solutions.
Our services include communications and brand positioning strategy, media relations, content development, financial communications, thought leadership programs, speakers bureau, crisis communications, CEO positioning and social media. Our media relationships span leading global media outlets like the BBC, Bloomberg—Businessweek, CNBC, Economic Times, Financial Times, Forbes, Fortune, Huffington Post, International Herald Tribune, Mint, Quartz, Reuters, New York Times, The Guardian, The Times and The Wall Street Journal. Our team has worked with Quartz Next Billion, Fortune Global Forum, The Economist, and Forbes CEO conferences where we strategically place our clients.
Our philosophy springs from one passion — tell our clients' stories in the most creative, well- researched and unique ways possible. In telling these stories we bring an unparalleled understanding of the rapidly changing media landscape, strong media networks around the world, and a team that excels at mapping specific messages and targeting key audiences, globally and locally.
Summary & Overview of the Position
We are looking for someone who will be responsible for business development in the U.S. Located in New York, the candidate will report to the Managing Director based in New York. The Associate Director is will additional responsibilities for client and managerial activities both strategic and operational in nature. The strategic responsibilities of this position include working closely with our senior leadership team including the CEO to proactively address the areas of:
- Managing and growing revenues and profitability in the US
- Developing proposal for new business pitches
- Motivating, leading and managing the business development team
- New Business Development
- Developing strong knowledge of global media and digital/social media landscape
- Research based counsel for clients that drives client thought leadership
The position is not solely about planning and managing the above client and team activities, but also designing, developing, delivering on the operational aspects of client and team including:
- Be a primary driver for building new clients and support servicing clients who are based out of US
- Take complete responsibility for the US new business team’s performance and delivering results in a timely and professional manner
- Mentor and grow team members in the region and set required processes to increase productivity
- Develop talent within the organization and add to the existing pool. Guide team members in developing new business
- Guide clients and the teams on the use of the digital and social media and mapping trends.
- Strive to be a knowledge source on our clients, competition and industry to develop public relations strategies. Familiarize yourself with market trends and public relation tactics used by competition.
- Confer with other managers to identify trends and key group interests and concerns or to provide advice on business decisions
- Support in overall growth of the business across geographies
Leadership / Cultural Competencies
The Agency is a public relations & communications firm with a total employee population of 80 employees. So although not a requirement, we are interested in candidates that have or identify with the following characteristics:
- Is a self-starter and proactive, who looks to take initiative and looking for professional growth in an entrepreneurial setting
- Doesn’t need a lot of hand holding, and can thrive in an entrepreneurial / start-up environment
- Looks to ask questions / has a spirit of inquiry
- Ability to think strategically, but has a strong operational focus
- High-energy individual with a strong work ethic and high expectations for performance, but who can lead by example
- Ability to earn the trust of co-workers, maintain confidence, and put the company’s self-interest above one’s self
- Interpersonally savvy, relates well to people throughout the organization
- Committed to building strong teams, looks to develop solid relationships and elicit collaboration
- Someone with a level of self-awareness and ability to bond easily with others
- Bachelor’s degree in Liberal Arts, Science, Business, public relations, communications or other related discipline required
- 8 – 10 years of experience in a communication role working on a diverse set of clients across industries.
- Proven leadership and execution abilities
- Excellent team player with strong communication skills
- Project Management experience in leading client initiatives, or the communications component of business initiatives is preferred.
- MBA / Masters degree is also a plus
- 10 - 20% travel may be required
ALL INTERESTED PARTIES, PLEASE EMAIL: email@example.com