Tuesday, April 25, 2017
I wanted to make sure you knew of a free online training my friend and colleague, Shonali Burke, is teaching, on how to “turbocharge” your Social PR career despite being crazy pressed for time, resources, and - quite frankly - terror at messing up.
This promises to be an excellent educational opp for PR pros who could do with some guidance breaking into the Social PR space; or, quite frankly, for seasoned pros who are still a bit intimidated by social, though they’d never admit it.
It’s on Tuesday, May 2, at 2 pm ET, and you can grab your spot here: https://socialprvirtuoso.com/free-masterclass
I’ve known Shonali for a LONG time, and she’s the real deal. WIth more than 2 decades in the biz, she’s basically writing the Social PR model as she goes … because she realized, more than a decade ago, that this was the wave of the future.
You may have seen her on Twitter, where she was an early adopter for our field @shonali, also founding and (still) curating the #measurePR Twitter chat - because effective and SIMPLE PR measurement is a passion of hers.
She’s been winning accolades for her innovative and practical approach to strategic, measurable PR for more than a decade now; from being on PRWeek’s first “Top 40 Under 40” list, to AWC-DC’s 2015 Matrix Award-winner, to the 2016 “Instructor of the Year” at Johns Hopkins M.A. in Communications program (where she’s been teaching since 2009).
And she isn’t just a “social media guru;” Shonali earned her stripes at agencies small and large, as well as at/working with some of the largest nonprofit organizations in the country.
I’ve attended some of Shonali’s past trainings, and they are a BLAST. Not just incredibly educational and valuable, but really fun too (which makes learning that much easier). And chock full of actionable insights that you can literally put to work immediately.
I highly, highly recommend you sign some of your staff up for this incredible valuable free training. You can thank me later. :) https://socialprvirtuoso.com/free-masterclass
Tuesday, March 7, 2017
The Agency is a digital integrated marketing communications firm headquartered in New York, with eight offices in the US, UK & India. In a digital world, where new marketing campaigns are launched at the click of a mouse, we tell memorable stories—backed by measurable results—that make brands stand out. A strategic partner to clients, The Agency’s storytelling converges at the intersection between owned, paid and earned media.
The Agency’s team of 80 storytellers includes digital ninjas, authors, editors, playwrights, filmmakers, brand wizards, PR mandarins, SEO buffs, programming geeks, and sociologists. These teams have expertise in diverse industries and use digital, content, PR, and video as their building blocks—turning data and insights into powerful narratives. Our combined experience extends across the spectrum of marketing communications work—from global branding initiatives to launch projects for local start-ups.
The Agency has shaped brands for companies, including Black & Veatch, Catalyst, The Cherie Blair Foundation, Columbia University, Michael and Susan Dell Foundation, Convergys, DSM Nutritional Products, GE, CLAAS, HSBC, InMobi, Jones Lang LaSalle, MakeMyTrip, Oxford University, Pratham, Quest Diagnostics, Quikr, Jabong, St. Jude Medical, Texas Instruments, Texas Pacific Group (TPG), TIAA-CREF, U.S. India Business Council, The White House, Vuclip, Wipro Limited, Happiest Minds and Infinite Computer Solutions.
Our services include communications and brand positioning strategy, media relations, content development, financial communications, thought leadership programs, speakers bureau, crisis communications, CEO positioning and social media. Our media relationships span leading global media outlets like the BBC, Bloomberg—Businessweek, CNBC, Economic Times, Financial Times, Forbes, Fortune, Huffington Post, International Herald Tribune, Mint, Quartz, Reuters, New York Times, The Guardian, The Times and The Wall Street Journal. Our team has worked with Quartz Next Billion, Fortune Global Forum, The Economist, and Forbes CEO conferences where we strategically place our clients.
Our philosophy springs from one passion — tell our clients' stories in the most creative, well- researched and unique ways possible. In telling these stories we bring an unparalleled understanding of the rapidly changing media landscape, strong media networks around the world, and a team that excels at mapping specific messages and targeting key audiences, globally and locally.
Summary & Overview of the Position
We are looking for someone who will be responsible for business development in the U.S. Located in New York, the candidate will report to the Managing Director based in New York. The Associate Director is will additional responsibilities for client and managerial activities both strategic and operational in nature. The strategic responsibilities of this position include working closely with our senior leadership team including the CEO to proactively address the areas of:
- Managing and growing revenues and profitability in the US
- Developing proposal for new business pitches
- Motivating, leading and managing the business development team
- New Business Development
- Developing strong knowledge of global media and digital/social media landscape
- Research based counsel for clients that drives client thought leadership
The position is not solely about planning and managing the above client and team activities, but also designing, developing, delivering on the operational aspects of client and team including:
- Be a primary driver for building new clients and support servicing clients who are based out of US
- Take complete responsibility for the US new business team’s performance and delivering results in a timely and professional manner
- Mentor and grow team members in the region and set required processes to increase productivity
- Develop talent within the organization and add to the existing pool. Guide team members in developing new business
- Guide clients and the teams on the use of the digital and social media and mapping trends.
- Strive to be a knowledge source on our clients, competition and industry to develop public relations strategies. Familiarize yourself with market trends and public relation tactics used by competition.
- Confer with other managers to identify trends and key group interests and concerns or to provide advice on business decisions
- Support in overall growth of the business across geographies
Leadership / Cultural Competencies
The Agency is a public relations & communications firm with a total employee population of 80 employees. So although not a requirement, we are interested in candidates that have or identify with the following characteristics:
- Is a self-starter and proactive, who looks to take initiative and looking for professional growth in an entrepreneurial setting
- Doesn’t need a lot of hand holding, and can thrive in an entrepreneurial / start-up environment
- Looks to ask questions / has a spirit of inquiry
- Ability to think strategically, but has a strong operational focus
- High-energy individual with a strong work ethic and high expectations for performance, but who can lead by example
- Ability to earn the trust of co-workers, maintain confidence, and put the company’s self-interest above one’s self
- Interpersonally savvy, relates well to people throughout the organization
- Committed to building strong teams, looks to develop solid relationships and elicit collaboration
- Someone with a level of self-awareness and ability to bond easily with others
- Bachelor’s degree in Liberal Arts, Science, Business, public relations, communications or other related discipline required
- 8 – 10 years of experience in a communication role working on a diverse set of clients across industries.
- Proven leadership and execution abilities
- Excellent team player with strong communication skills
- Project Management experience in leading client initiatives, or the communications component of business initiatives is preferred.
- MBA / Masters degree is also a plus
- 10 - 20% travel may be required
ALL INTERESTED PARTIES, PLEASE EMAIL: email@example.com
Saturday, February 11, 2017
This Senior level media relations pro will be a spokesperson for the company on daily inquiries from the news media – including wire services, blogs, financial websites, newspapers, and personal finance/business publications – and act as an accessible, responsive, credible, quotable, and resourceful spokesperson.
You'll be relied upon to provide clear, candid, and accurate statements and/or background information to the media using your communication skills to effectively to maintain the company's image and reputation among media and shareholders as well as promote the actual funds and services and advance the firm's business and communications goals.
You'll develop and strengthen working relationships with the news media, while you continue identify and cultivate new press contacts.
You'll have the opportunity to plan and research story ideas to pitch to the media, arrange interviews with executives, thought leaders, and portfolio managers, and work closely with them to prepare them for media interviews.
The company has a strong and collegial culture and you'll have a wonderful team to work with. You'll enjoy strong, collaborative relationships with team members, internal business clients, investment management personnel, marketing personnel, members of senior staff, as well as external advisers, vendors, and clients. Your work with all these colleagues will deepen your understanding of strategy, priorities, and positioning for the company and align this with the broad priorities of the businesses and/or the broader marketing initiatives.
The PR department is a lean group of smart professionals that senior management leans upon to provide sound and reasoned counsel regarding public perception and communication of business issues. Also, you'll be keeping an eye out for media issues, strategies and tactics that will help reinforce positive media coverage and mitigate any possible adverse publicity.
You should be keeping abreast of the media environment, industry trends, market activity, and regulatory changes and develop appropriate responses and materials for these areas.
You'll research and prepare creative, professional and accurate press releases and other materials, including statements, Q&As, backgrounders, pitches, fact sheets, press kits, bylined articles, etc.
As you'd imagine, you'll be called upon to lead or assist with special projects that may arise.
We are looking for a minimum of 5-10 years of general business experience, with 5 years in public relations or related area, especially in the mutual fund area, would be preferred. There may be some travel, but not much.
Some qualities we're looking for:
Strong interpersonal skills and professional demeanor.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Demonstrated ability to work effectively and independently on multiple projects.
Demonstrated ability to explain complex subject matter in plain English.
Knowledge of financial services industry, particularly mutual fund investing and financial markets.
Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail.
Demonstrated ability to work with various departments and levels of management including senior executives.
Demonstrated ability to write quickly and meet deadlines.
Willingness to “cover” corporate events outside usual business hours.
Ability to handle confidential information.
The firm offers wonderful benefits and competitive compensation. The role located about a half hour outside of Philadelphia and the company will help with relocation if necessary.
Thursday, January 26, 2017
A NJ based public relations firm specializing in serving the life sciences industry is looking for someone with around 3 or 4 years of experience in PR, preferably within the healthcare or life sciences industry. Clients range from emerging publicly traded biotech and pharmaceutical companies to VC-funded startups and global organizations, including one of the world’s leading providers of executive education.
We are seeking an account executive to assist in the day-to-day management of several client accounts. The ideal candidate: is comfortable interacting with clients; possesses strong communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal; is proficient in digital/social media; has an interest in life sciences and media relations; and is able to work independently and manage multiple responsibilities. A bachelor’s degree and prior public relations or communications experience is required. Please note that this is a work-remote position.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Leading day-to-day client activities to ensure timely execution of deliverables
· Preparing for and leading client calls and meetings
· Interacting with target media on behalf of clients
· Maintaining client progress trackers
· Drafting client materials, including news releases, web site copy, fact sheets and award nominations
· Assisting in the maintenance of clients’ and 6 Degrees’ social media properties (e.g., Twitter)
· Compiling briefing documents for media interviews
· Researching media outlets, industry conferences, corporate recognition opportunities and prospective clients
· Coordinating the distribution of news releases